Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Release Date: December 8, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Pages: 464
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Borrowed
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 3 Stars

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.
Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


I had been excited to read this book the moment it hit stores and as the sequels started to be released I grew more and more desperate to get my hands on the novel and actually read it. I had heard nothing but good things about this book and I had put it on a high pedestal waiting for the day I could actually read it.

And now I have and I was greatly disappointed. For a book that got such great reviews, and a movie deal from what is circling around, I was expecting a lot more then what Lauren Kate actually delivered.

The beginning portion was incredibly slow. It took almost near the end of the book before things actually started to happen. It reminded me of TWILIGHT in the sense that the author just goes on and on and on, and dances around the main point of the story and trying to come up with these scenes before things fall into place. But luckily Lauren's book wasn't as big as TWILIGHT, it still took almost to page four-hundred before I was really into it.

Okay, I will give her that I enjoyed the fight scene in the library, that was the only thing out of the three-hundred pages that I loved.

I honestly felt like Luce was incredibly stupid. She keeps after this guy who wants nothing to do with her - and it's clear why later on - but she has her own demons to fight with, and I felt like she was too self-absorbed in her own world. I also didn't like the way she just isn't assertive. She leads this one guy on while still looking at another, and I just wanted to tell her, "Screw it! Look at the guy that's looking back at you!" I was frustrated with her, and I felt like I had to force myself to read to the end of the novel hoping it would get better.

I felt like somethings weren't clear when the climax did come, I felt completely lost, and hopelessly confused. There was nothing explained. There were no loose ties mended. In fact you left the novel with more questions then answers, which makes sense since readers would have to read the other books to figure out just what is going on, but I think that Lauren really should have expanded it a little more and at least started helping the readers figure out just what is going on.

Daniel, I also felt was too self-absorbed with his own issues to actually look at the world. I didn't get why he behaved the way he did at the beginning of the novel, I felt that was childish and just stupid and no point whatsoever.

There's just a lot of things I can say but these are the few things I can say without giving off too much.

One of the things done right? I felt like Lauren was very true to some characters and had kept very dynamic characters. I also felt some were very one dimension and could use a little help. There were a lot of surprises and a lot of things that are just like, "Oh my."

I don't think it's sexy or fascinating. The cover is pretty but it has absolutely nothing to do with, I feel, the story itself.

If you enjoy a slow pace novel and being frustrated while reading, this is the book for you. If you're looking for something exciting and new and fresh, this only hits about one of the three, because it seems people are moving away from wizards and vampires, and going after fallen angels now, but it does bring in a new way of looking at it.

Fans of HUSH, HUSH might like this book.

No comments: