Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release Date: March 2, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Pages: 323
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 4 Stars

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

I was excited at first of this book. I love witches and if it weren't for vampires and fallen angels I know they'd be the next big thing. And not to mention, this was so unique. I have not read a book like this before, at least I don't think I have.

As I was reading this book I became less and less unsure if I should pick up the next two books in the series. I fell in love with Archer, and was surprised how after one day so did Sophie. I was hoping a little more will power from her, but I guess you can't have it all. I was also a little shocked that Archer would be with someone like Elodie, who by the way, is such a bitch. I was also a little surprised how they just automatically claimed Sophie as a dark witch, but if they had explored this a little more, I'm sure Rachel could have done a lot more.

Besides being a clumsy witch, Sophie was definitely funny. I think it takes someone who speaks sarcasm as a second language to appreciate those characters who pull it off very well. And if not for the way things ended, I'm sure she and Archer would have a good relationship. As I was finishing with the book I realized that there had to be something that I wasn't being told about, and obviously there was, with Archer that is, and I have to know, but what I don't know is if I should waste my money buying the second book and not getting what I wanted.

Whoever has read the sequel, please let me know if it is worth it. Will I find out more about Archer and what he's really doing?

I thought that Jenna was a great character because she was different and real. Not to mention you don't see too many lesbian vampires in literature. And I know for sure that Cal will have to play a bigger role.

The only thing I didn't like that got it a four was that it went to fast, I felt like there were unbelievable moments, and I'm not sure, there was just something I didn't like. I definitely didn't like how short lived the relationship between Sophie and Archer was.

But funny and original saved the novel from any lower score.

No comments: