Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Memory Lane

I'm sure every avid reader out there has it. That one book or book series that they read when they were younger, like elementary/middle school age, and enjoyed a lot.

When I was younger I actually hated to read. Reading was the one chore I never wanted to do and I constituted that reading was a form of violation of my 8th amendment rights. Though as a ten year old I didn't say those exact words, but I still found reading to be the worst thing in the world.

I'm eighteen now and can't do anything BUT read. I actually can't sleep at night unless I get a hundred pages in, and then forget I need sleep and end up finishing the book or reading until five in the morning. But lately as the idea of college finally dawns on me and the fact that I'm going to have to be an "adult" responsible for loans, clothing, feeding myself, and an actual job I just want to sit down and read NANCY DREW.

Like I said before, everyone has that one book. For me it was Nancy Drew. She wasn't my hero exactly, but she was the bases for a lot of my own mystery novels that I'm writing. I started reading the original collection, THE NANCY DREW MYSTERIES, and just recently thought back to how I wanted to read all 175 books and only read to 26. I have this new craving to start picking up the series again, and really, why not? Sure, it's considered a children's book but this series is also the reason why I realized that I love reading. Why give something up that brings you joy? I might even consider reading the newer books about her for much older audience.

So, what was your childhood book and would you still read it now? Let me know.

No comments: