Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski

Title: Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have)
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Publisher: Harperteen
Pages: 368
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Bought
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars


2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.
If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time

From the first pages to the last one I was laughing like there was no tomorrow. This is a light read that makes for a good day of sitting outside with a glass of something cold, and laughing with April.

The character of April herself I enjoyed, because she was as real as they get. She has this inner demon that she tries to fight and leans heavily on Noah, and I like how Sarah develops April into who she will become and leaves more to come. I did feel for April a lot, and in the end the choice she made shows her growth.

Vi, Hudson, and Dean would be awesome for a double date. I love Dean, he always made me laugh. I honestly never thought too much about Vi's exercise but like the others she has her own battles that she needs to overcome. Hudson, my goodness, I need a Hudson of my own. He was sweet, charming, and giving.

It took me a while to see the connection between him and April, and it frustrated me when April was so determined to be with Noah. What went down between the two of them in the end did not surprise me whatsoever, I could almost tell that he was not who he made himself to be, and I could tell how hard April was trying to overlook that. I think this really gives a look into her personality as she tries to hold on to something again.

The story has a whole was fun. Living parent free for six months? How awesome is that. Sarah came up with an original idea, with a cliche love triangle, but it's overlook with the little twists she puts in. Each character stays true to their nature, but you still see the development as they grow up. I think a lot of girl's could relate to April in someway, which makes the book so much enjoyable.

If I had to pick a downside it would be that April is very naive and can't see the way things are heading between her and Hudson, and her with Noah. Also, I feel like it took a while for these girl's to start looking after each other, but I guess that's part of the process for April and everyone involved.

Fun, original, and hilarious, this is a story to love.

No comments: