Wednesday, November 2, 2011

National Novel Writing Month

Yesterday began the much anticipated month, November! Which, if you are a writer, means one thing: Start and finish a novel with 50,000 words or more, and if you are a college student this means forgetting the word sleep and binge drinking on coffee in order to get that out of the way and to do school work.

I love this month. It's really the only time I get any of my works fully completed. If anyone out there is participating in the challenge you can add me.This will be my fourth year doing this, I believe, and I have finished all my works, which is awesome.

I know this is supposed to be a book blog, but I couldn't help share this news, which if you are in this blog universe of book reviewing you might have already heard whispers about. I, for one, say that it is a great opportunity to finish novels, because the one rule they have is that you are not allowed to go back and correct your work. They give you a deadline and if you don't meet it, well, I'm sorry, but if you do you get an awesome certificate and the bragging rights to tell everyone that you have successfully finished a novel in a month. You can leave out the part about it being a complete mess, but you did finish it. That's your mess you made and finished.

Trust me, my past novels I haven't even gone into and edit yet. I'm waiting for them to come out with a National Novel Editing Month, preferably December, but in the summer time that would be good to. That way you get a break, let your mind be refreshed, do some other writing, and then in like June or something you can go back and edit it. If you're in school, that works awesome with your schedule, because summer is here. If not, and you are in the adult world, well, I'm sure you can do it.

That's my little talk on it. I highly recommend you try it, even if you don't finish, you will still have something started. I have heard it say that the hardest part of a novel is starting it, which I can attest to. And if you can't do it this year, lucky you this is an annual event, so I hope to see you around next year!

And for those current wrimo's out there, good luck this month.

Feel free to leave a comment about what you are hoping to achieve this month or even your book ideas. And even advice you might have to someone who really wants to do this but doesn't know where to start. Advice is always wonderful.

My two cents on advice, which I find helps people, is take your iPod, mp3, Last.fm, Pandora, whatever you use to listen to music, and the first song that comes, see if you can write a novel on it. What does that song inspire and how can you use it? If that doesn't work, there is this wonderful NaNoWordSprints on twitter, and they are super helpful.

Take care bloggers. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, MaryBeth! My hat's off to you and everyone who attempts this daunting feat. Good luck!

Stephanie ~Misfit Salon~