Friday, December 23, 2011

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: March 27th, 2007
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Pages: 496
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

I am probably the last person on Earth who has yet to read this book and when I finally had I needed to ask myself one question: What took me so long? This book was amazing! I honestly didn't know what to expect. With all the trends on vampires, werewolves, fallen angels, and wizards I was trying to decide where this book fell into place. And it turns out that it falls on all sides.

I honestly finished this book in one sitting. After Clary's mom goes missing, she discovers a world of myths and legends where demons roam and the existence of Shadowhunters.

One thing that I feel like Cassandra did an amazing job on had been the wide range of characters that are seen in this book. There was the leading lady Clary, which by the way is a cute name, who showed a lot of her strong sides, her weak sides, and her intelligence. Then there was the leading man, Jace, who I had trouble warming up to. But, of course, by the time I did, things went from wonderful to seriously messed up. And for those who have read the book know what I mean. And the rest of the cast who went from annoying me - Isabelle and Alec - to surprising me - Luke.

The introduction to the series was a great start, with the hunt for the Mortal Cup, which could turn children into Shadownhunters. The rise of the Accords and the evil villain Valentine, who I might not like at all but I do like his name.

This fantasy world has got politics and family drama so entangled in the story line that it just keeps moving the entire story forward.

I still don't believe what happened in the end when the news broke out about Valentine and Jace, and I will read the books to prove to myself that this is not true because this is complete unacceptable and if Cassandra Clare plans to keep things like that I will have to stop reading this series to boycott it. Just a little FYI, there.

Besides that, this book was great. It leaves a lot open for the next book. And I say, if you don't love it the first time around, don't stop reading it. I've had to force myself in tons of books to keep going before the love actually opened up, so I say, keep going forward, because when I first started this book I was not completely in love. I will admit. But now, I am crazy for it.

And before I forget, the humor in this book makes the dark theme so much more uplifting. It's hard to find that equal balance of fun and darkness all thrown into one, but I feel like Cassandra Clare really brought out the best in this story by doing that. I mean, Jace, will have you on the floor laughing he is so adorable. And this is why the ending is so hard, because I feel like that fun loving side of him is gone, but I hope more of it will come later on in the series.

Five stars out five for the dark, sexy, funny, twisted story that will keep anyone up all night to finish it.

1 comment:

roro said...

i'm the last person tha planet/ hav not read it yet