Monday, December 26, 2011

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Title: Touch of Power
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Release Date: December 27th, 2011
Publisher: Mira
Pages: 394
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars


Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....
 

I fell in love with Maria's work back in high school when I read her Magic Study books, and I am falling deeper in love with her now for this book. It was absolutely amazing. I love this complex fantasy world she created, and how she was able to bring these characters together.

In Avry's world, healers are looked down on after a plague broke out that left millions dead, and now she is traveling with these four very different but funny guys who want to use her healing abilities to bring back the health of their leader, while at the same time avoiding mobs and military leaders who have put a bounty on her head in order to get her for themselves. Turns out that after all the executions and witch hunts for the healers, Avry is now the last of her kind and extremely special.

First thing that I love about this book is Avry. She is witty and smart and strong, courageous woman. Even knowing that her kind is being hunted down and killed she still does her best to help those that she can. And when she and Kerrick are in the same room? It is hilarious how much they hate each other. The way they always fight and bicker is so cute. Belan was awesome, like a huge bear. Papa Bear as they call him in the book. And the monkeys, also known as Quain and Vinn were awesome.

All I can say is that all these characters were just full of color and wonderful.

I disliked Kerrick at first because he was just too much all at once and I really didn't like how he treated Avry at first. Near the end I started to really warm up to him but I just didn't like him at first.

As for the villains, there was a moment when I really felt sorry for Avry, especially with certain parts that had me shivering because it was so creepy. I have not met such a disturbed character like Tohon before.

The entire story line is twisted and dark, mysterious but intriguing, with characters that are full of life that can make you smile or want to seriously cry. I recommend this book to all fantasy lovers of the world, because this is great. The political part of the story is somewhat complex if the reader isn't paying attention to what is going on and who is friend or foe.

But for the most part this book is great and I cannot wait for the second book. Five stars for being awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this book on Barnes and Noble's website recently and I'm glad that you reviewed it. I may have to pick this one up!


Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky