Friday, January 27, 2012

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: August 10th, 2010
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Pages: 359
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: The Iron King
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

I feel like I'm falling in love all over again with this series. As if the first book didn't convince me enough that this was something that would be of high interest. I don't know how Kagawa does it, but she has brought to life these mischievous little creatures into a whole new light.

The first thing I want to start out with is Ash, because I am falling so much in love with this prince. There is this dark, haunted soul that continues to resurface again and again, Kagawa never once breaking this spell that she has cast over him, that reveals this tormented man and what Fate has thrown at him. I kept wanting to hit Ash so many times, I was losing my mind. There is just something about him that makes me want to break in and start digging through this ice fortress that he has built around himself.

And Meghan, I'm becoming a little fond of her. There is still this selfish side of her that continues to show up, but I feel like at times it can be acceptable for her to be like that. For those who have read the book would know everything that she had to give up for the sake of others. I do feel like there is a lot of growth, that Kagawa has developed Meghan from this pig-farm girl that was practically invisible at her school, to this half-breed Summer Princess who gets stronger with each obstacle thrown at her.

The main story itself was fascinating. I love all the twists and turns that Kagawa throws into this book, and all the lies and deceptions that are uncovered. The world of the fey becomes incredibly complicated as the Iron fey becomes more and more of a threat, but with a looming war between Summer and Winter, Meghan realizes that this new world that she has been thrown into, and has slowly started to love, is in great danger.

Enemies become friends, friends become enemies, and a revelation is made that could change Meghan's life forever.

Once I picked this up, I couldn't put it down until I finished it because Kagawa takes this book at such a quick pace. Something is always happening and things are always changing, and before anyone can blink things go into mayhem.

Best book I have read in 2012, thus far. I wish I didn't have so much studying and reading to do for school so I can read the third book already, but soon enough. I am excited for this series because so far it is showing so much potential to be amazing.

This is a must, must read!

1 comment:

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

I absolutely loved The Iron King and The Iron Daughter is on my list of books to read in February. (I'm pretty much dedicating my reading that month to stuff I've been totally dying to read in honor of valentines day / my birthday). Anyway, so glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Your review was well written without giving anything away. Makes me want to start it right now. :)