Thursday, February 9, 2012

Such A Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess

Title: Such a Pretty Girl
Author: Laura Wiess
Release Date: January 2nd, 2007
Publisher: MTV and Pocket Books
Pages: 212
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Library
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars





Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison. Today her time has run out.They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.

This book touched me in places that I couldn't believe. It almost made me want to run to my mom and hug her, because obviously that was what Meredith needed in her life. I felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie that was worthy of an award because Laura painted such a wonderful and painful image of what happens when not one but both parent's fail a child.

After being raped by her father, he was locked away, but got out early. The news hits Meredith hard, especially when her mother takes him back with open arms.

It was disgusting to see this woman. My heart cried for Meredith and her friend, because what gets discovered just makes a person want to take both of them in and protect them. I just never understood how someone can be so evil, but the sad part is that this story hits too close to home because as much as people would like to admit that these things do not happen, that is not true at all.

For me, reading this was an eye-opener. I've never made myself blind to the events that happen in life, but at the same time confronting it is something I have avoided. So, I was not expecting the things that happen in this book to take such a hold of me.

I praise Wiess for writing this. I praise her fearlessness to tackle such a delicate subject that nobody wants to discuss, because this needs to be something that is not kept hidden. And I also feel like this book will be such a help to women in general who read this story.

Definitely something that should get picked up and read.

No comments: