Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Title: Dark Lover
Author: J.R. Ward
Info: Website | Facebook
Release Date: September 6th, 2005
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Pages: 393
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood. The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.

What do I love more than vampires? Sexy vampires and does this book have a lot of them.

I had no idea what to expect when I first picked this book up, but I am so glad I took the time to read this because it was amazing. The character development throughout the novel was great and I loved how Ward kept a tight hold on their distinguished characteristics that make them who they are. I loved Beth, who right from the start was a strong female character. Wrath was everything I expected him to be, but at the same time there were several surprises that Ward threw in that I was not expecting at all.

The vampires are very unique to the story, but Ward does the vampire genre justice by keeping some trademark's about vampires that make them the sexy bloodsuckers readers love. Their immortality and their resistance to the sunlight (and no, they do NOT sparkle). But Ward added her own take as well. These vampires have their own religion, they have their own hierarchy, and they essentially have their own culture.

If there was anything I have a problem with was how fast that Wrath and Beth fell for each other. I, like most readers, have issues with insta-love, because it's not realistic. Even if this is fiction I still want a taste of reality because there are people in these books. And the same thing with Butch, I just didn't think that was realistic. I felt like Beth's strong character could have come out more if she didn't portray all the vulnerability that she did. I also didn't like how she reacted to the news of her father. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did not imagine her taking it so well.

These are little things, but they still got to me. Also, I didn't like how long it took for some action to start up. The novel essentially goes through several points of views, so the reader can see Beth's side, and then Wrath's, and then Butch, and then the antagonist. I realize this is the first book in the series, but I wish there was a little more interaction between the antagonist and the story instead of them doing there own thing for about 85% of the novel.

But I can't complain too much because it all came together nicely in the end, and I'm not going to giveaway too much but I like to see methods to an author's madness.

And what else makes this book awesome? No love triangles! Okay, I am in the minority that loves love-triangles, because I just feel that makes the story more interesting (though they become predictable when the girl always goes with the bad guy or her best friend, so I wish they'd spice that up a little, but that's not for the here and now), but in this book there are no love-triangles. So, for the majority of readers out there that absolutely distaste love triangles this is a book to pick up.

Also, for those that don't read romance novels that much, I'd say give this book a chance. There isn't a lot of the...heat that romance novels have, so if there is a reader that isn't too much into that I'd say start here.

Basically, this book has a little for a variety of readers, which makes it a great book. When it is obviously directed to one group of readers, but yet can fit into other groups I'd say that the author did a bang up job.

It's funny, sexy, dark, haunting, and beautifully written. These characters are the kind that will stick around and be with reader's for a long time even after the last page is turned.

No comments: