Monday, March 5, 2012

Slipping Reality by Emily Beaver

Title: Slipping Reality
Author: Emily Beaver
Release Date: July 14th, 2011
Publisher: AuthorHouse
Pages: 272
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: For Review; Netgalley
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars


In a time of hardship and heartbreak, sometimes, reality just isn't enough. Slipping Reality is the story of fourteen-year-old Katelyn Emerson, who, when faced with the glaring reality of her brother's illness, rebels against the truth by slipping away into the depths of her own imagination. There, she finds the kind of support and comfort she feels she deserves. There, she does not have to feel so alone. And yet, as Katelyn's grasp on reality begins to unravel, so too does the story of a girl who grew up too fast and fell apart too soon. Emily Beaver's debut novel is a coming of age story that deals with the trials of young grief, insight, and growth where it's least expected.

This book was a little different than what I've read before, but it was still familiar. I liked how Beaver was able to entangle real life issues, and throw in a little more into it.

She really made me believe in the character's and got me into Katelyn's mind. And there was the brother as well, who despite being faced with a life-threatening illness, he has a little spark of life in him still. The character's come out and pull the reader's in through these difficult times when someone as young as Katelyn is faced with a difficult obstacle in her life.

This novel is honest and very heart-wrenching. Warning, tissues might be required to read this book.

It has been a long time since I read a book that really makes me question myself and everything around me, and those are the types of novels that really deserve to take notice. I'm not saying that books that don't make a reader question their own lives isn't bad, the books that do are the ones that, in my opinion, should be picked up and read.  

And I just discovered that this book was written when the author was only 14 years old, which just makes it even more amazing.

It's haunting and hits close to the truth. Growing up can be difficult, especially at such a young age, and Beaver shows the reader this.

Whoever has not read this book yet needs to pick it up, because I'm sure it will leave a lasting impressions.

No comments: