Friday, April 20, 2012

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Title: Evernight
Author: Claudia Gray
Release Date: February 10th, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 327
Format: NookBook
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult


She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

I cannot believe it took me forever to read this book! I kept hearing about this book series and always brush it off as something that looks cool and I'll get to it at my own time.

Well, when I finally did I was really happy. I mean, like my jaw was dropping at every big point in the book because I couldn't believe it.

Bianca was such a likeable character and Gray does a great job in making her someone that can be connected with. And then she rips the rug of connection right from under the reader without even expecting it. And once the truth comes out, it's like the first half of the story suddenly makes sense. I almost wanted to go back and read it again now that my eyes were open to the truth.

Anyways, the entire story just took me a little by surprised. And I love how Gray was sneaking in little surprises at every corner.

I loved Lucas and I loved how Gray developed his character throughout the whole book. At first I was thinking that everything about Lucas was laid out in the open and he wouldn't be like most male characters who are a huge mystery, but then Gray throws in a mystery portion to it twisting the story line.

And some character's I just did not understand at all. And I think that the rest of the series will reveal a little more about them and I hope that the plot of the book unravels a little more.

It did feel, though, that it was a little anti-climatic. Especially with the way they set up the prologue, I was expecting a little more near the end, but I was a little disappointed. I did start book 2 already and it is turning out a little better than the first, so let's cross our fingers.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

I haven't read the Evernight series, but I have read Balthazar and I loved it. It is one of my favorites of 2012. I can't wait to get to the rest of the series. Great review!