Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue

Title: Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband
Author: Melissa Mayhue
Release Date: June 26th, 2012
Publisher: Pocket
Pages: 356
Format: iBook
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Adult

SCOTLAND, 1272. Connor MacKiernan, a descendant of the Fae Prince, is a warrior who lives only for honor and duty. Though he's vowed never to marry, that's exactly what he must do to save his sister. Enter a little Faerie magic, and the search for a bride is on.
DENVER, 2007. Caitlyn Coryell is having a really bad day -- she just discovered her fiance with another woman Imagine her surprise when she puts on some sexy lingerie and an antique pendant and Connor appears in her bedroom, begging for her help. He offers a simple yet outrageous adventure: travel to his time, marry him, and return home.
But nothing's simple when Cate is trapped in the thirteenth century. The wedding's delayed, someone's trying to kill her, and in the middle of all this, she realizes she's falling in love with a man who can only be her husband for thirty nights.

I feel like a cheat. I want to give this book five stars because it centers around a theme I love so much, and that theme by the way usually comes in the form of a tall, muscular Highlander in a kilt. Honestly, my obsession is obviously not healthy, but who cares. I blame Jamie Fraser for stealing my heart.

But, why did I not give this book five stars? Well, simply because Mayhue left too many lose ends. I mean, I can understand if they would serve a function later on in the series, but in this book they just left me with questions and no answers, which I found very annoying. Like, for example what type of business is Cate's family a part of? Obviously some heavy material it looked like. And not to mention if the publishers felt so important to mention Connor's family lineage in the synopsis if it doesn't get mentioned in the book - well, not really anyways. Just little things like that.

I did enjoy the story though. Cate was nothing like I had originally pictured her but she fit perfectly. And I was a little surprised when they threw in the Fae story. Seems like all the Highland books I get my hands on has Fae.

For one, I absolutely loved Cate. I felt bad for her in the beginning because she made a mistake, but as the story continued I loved how she developed greatly as a character. Connor did a lot of development as well, so Mayhue really did an excellent job there.

The story is very original and I like the way the Fae and the people are intertwined together and woven tightly throughout the story.

I was a little surprised at the end, but I think that's what made this story even better. It was completely unexpected what happened and it was a change from the usual time-travel-Fae-involved-Highland-novel I have read.

I can already tell that I am going to love this series. Mayhue is a genius!

1 comment:

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

This book sounds like something I would love!! And it's a series?