Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell

Title: Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe
Author: Shelley Coriell
Release Date: May 1st, 2012
Publisher: Amulet Books
Pages: 299
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Challenge: Debut Author 
Age Group: Young Adult

Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school’s struggling radio station, where the other students don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams’s mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home.

When I first saw this book I thought to myself, "This looks like something out of a Meg Cabot shelf" because it looked like something that was both short and funny. One of those things that was just something you can finish in a quick read. I had actually never heard of Shelley Coriell, but honestly, I fell for the cover and the title a little.

From the first few pages I could tell Chloe was a colorful character. She was incredibly silly, I mean, who loves to be a burrito? Well, Chloe does apparently. And from the first few pages it seemed like things were going somewhere especially when things with her best friend went pretty sour.

Honestly, Chloe was one of those girls in the novel that is a little bit self-absorbed and, at first, it seemed to me that Chloe would have to learn to stop thinking about herself and listen to others. But it turned into something that was a little bit emotional. She was a character that was easy to connect with and I really liked how realistic she seemed. And I really don't think that she was really self-absorbed; I think it was that she really lived in her own universe. She is one of those people that just seems....unaware about how their actions relate to those around her.

I gave it four stars because it did take me a while to get into the story and it did take me a while before I finished it. It isn't one of those stories, at least for me, that took me right away. I think you have to be really in love with contemporary novels in order to really get into it.

Either way, Welcome, Caller was very emotional and it was funny, and it was just a ride all around. I would recommend this book to those who love authors like Meg Cabot and Sarah Dessen. It should definitely be on someone's summer read.

No comments: