Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Release Date: September 27th, 2011
Publisher: HaperTeen
Pages: 390
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult

On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

Finally time to go back to YA, and I have to say, as excited as I was to read this book when I first got it, I was a little disappointed. There was a lot of hype surrounding it and so many people telling me what it was like and how it would leave me on the edge of my seat, and it left me alright, but on the edge of losing my mind.

The character Skye I never connected very well for her. It seemed like she was very much a person who let things happen to her. I didn't like her friend Cassie much either, though the author brought out the closeness between the two friend's and made it very clear. I didn't like Skye actually. And I can understand how it's hard for her to do anything especially when she has two boy's telling her that she has two very different destines that could potential hurt the other. I just wish that Skye could be a little more outspoken.

A lot of the time I felt that she was just unhappy. There seemed to be very little moments where she was ever truly happy. And I get that her whole world is turning upside down right now, don't get me wrong, but I felt like she could have handled it a little better to be honest.

And, of course, there's the ending. I just don't know what to say. I don't want to say she had it coming, because that would be incredibly harsh, but when a guy who's protected me since the moment I met him attempts to protect me again, I don't run away from him, I go to him. I get she was probably hurt because she thought, who knows what, but that irked me. Even as a third party I already knew what was going to happen and it would take a complete idiot not to guess. She saw what the Order was capable of and she saw how she upset them; dude, put two and two together, it's not rocket science.

But, I'm not going to say too much, even though I really want to. I just can't wait for book two to come out, sometime this year.

Four stars because the main character had no life in her. She was stiff, moody, and could never make a clear choice, or made stupid choices that caused stupid things to happen to her. Four stars because Davies left us at the tip of something big, which will obviously unravel in the coming next two books.

Surprisingly, I will probably read the books that will come, just because I won't be able to let this one go. So, now that I've complained enough, the novel was very original, it had very distinct characters. In the beginning, believe me, I wanted to punch Asher. Even though Skye needs a serious character transformation, both Devin and Asher were clear to read for the most part.

We'll just have to see what happens in the coming books that will surely take us to another world. A Beautiful Dark is a quick read that will leave you with a whirlwind of emotions.

No comments: