Sunday, June 24, 2012

Replication: The Jason Experiment by Jill Williamson

Title: Replication: The Jason Experiment
Author: Jill Williamson
Info: Website | Facebook
Release Date: December 27th, 2011
Publisher: Zonderkidz
Pages: 294
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: From Publisher
Age Group: Young Adult





Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to 'expire' in less than a month. To see the sky. Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars. As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he's ever known

Can I just say that early on Williamson already had me crying? It was a crappy day to begin with, but once I sat in the train and picked this book up I just started bawling like there was no tomorrow. I felt so bad for Baby and I just wanted to take him and cuddle him. I didn't even know if I could continue to read this (I'm a Pisces, so I'm a very overly emotional person, so excuse me for sounding a little too sappy about this book). 

Anyways, this book is amazing. The lines between science and religion get crossed, and the ethics of cloning are questioned. Life for Martyr and the other clones are not wonderful, but they all believe that they are doing good for mankind. But when the reality of their existence comes to light, it shatters Martyr's world.

For Abby, her disconnected family life has only drawn her closer to her religion. When she meets Martyr life takes an unexpected turn.

I absolutely loved this book, even if it did have me crying. Honestly, I am having a difficult time reviewing this book without putting my own ethics into this, because cloning is such a sensitive topic. It very well falls into one of those categories, "Just because we can, does it mean we should?"

Williamson is a fantastic writer and she drives this topic like a mastermind. I was completely engrossed in her work and of course people on the train looked at me like I was a little crazy because I was between laughing and crying the whole way. I don't know how she did this, but this book is one that should not be missed out on.

No comments: