Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Release Date: January 4th, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 435
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult



Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy. 

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side. 

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

I can't believe it took me more than a year to get to this. Sometimes I have to wonder why it takes me so long to read all the good books.

Hand's took me into a new realm of angels that I have yet to discover. Seems like angels are becoming a bigger trend than vampires...mm.

Anyways, this book took me a little while to get into. In the first few pages I was a little annoyed with how fast the book was going and how much it didn't connect at first. I felt like there was too much information at once, but then it finally got interesting.

I'm glad that the story slowed down a little to get the reader's to catch up. Once that happened I realized just how much I really liked Clara. Her family is a little interesting, which I enjoyed.

At first I liked Christian. He was fun and very heroic and just the all-American type of guy, but after an incident *cough*Prom*cough* I was a little skeptical about him. Even as the book neared the end I couldn't decide what my general feelings for him were. So, it's safe to say that as of now I am neither Team Tucker or Team Christian.

While love triangles maybe a cliche in YA Lit, this book is making it interesting by making it harder to decide. My general feelings are that it'll be Team Tucker, but who knows. I haven't read the second book yet, which might shed a little light about the story, but as of now it's all up in there, for me anyways.

Overall, this book was amazing. I loved the mythology that Hand created and I loved how she just kept developing it and the surprises that were revealed through it. I can't wait to see where the series goes!

This was an amazing start to the series and I hope that things get better and better as they go along.

1 comment:

BR Myers said...

I can't help but notice how much this cover reminds me of BEAUTIFUL CREATURES.

A coincidence I'm sure.

Thanks for the review.