Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Provocateur by Charles D. Martin

Title: Provocateur
Author: Charles D. Martin
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: August 14th, 2012
Publisher: Chaney-Hall Publishing
Pages: 240
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; From Publisher; Netgalley
Age Group: Adult

This novel is about a strong, audacious young woman and her encounters with powerful, alpha males. Provocateur explores that aspect of the human experience that surrounds the age-old contest between men and women. It is the story of Nadia, a young Russian woman who comes to America through a mail-order-bride program. She becomes employed in an enterprise operated by an ex-CIA agent named Olga, whose agency, through clever missions, extracts large amounts of money from wealthy men. In her "assignments" Nadia must get the best of alpha males that are at the top of the male order. Nadia, born an orphan, rises out of a life of poverty and despair,where she had no experience with affection, to face her struggles and take on the challenges of her "profession". She is a complex, enigmatic woman of superior intelligence who must "win" through her finesse and feminine prowess

I make no secret of my feminist nature. The majority of books I read revolve around a strong females and the way she handles herself. When taking part of this book tour, I knew I had to read this book. This was something I could go for. But, of course, I also fell for the main synopsis of this novel.

As an orphan, growing up in Russia she was a smart and educated woman, but due to her social class Nadia decides to marry for convenience than love. When going through a mail-order-bride she finds an American husband. But, unable to settle, she comes in contact with Olga, an ex-CIA agent, who runs an establishment where women are trained to seduce rich men to take their money. Soon, Nadia finds that she is a natural provocateur.

Nadia was an amazing character who I got hooked on immediately. She is a smart and crafty, but as well as dangerous. I don't know if it was just the men were falling hard for her or she was just that good but she pulled some of those cons with such ease it almost looked like something anyone can do. It's almost as if the game of seduction with billionaires is child's play, or at least for Nadia it is. Show some skin, maybe some cleavage, and you are good to go.

I liked this novel a lot, though I only gave it a four because as much as I did enjoy it I feel like it wasn't as memorable as it could be. I found myself enjoying this book, just not enough that if I ever find time to ever reread a book, this one probably wouldn't be it. It wasn't Nadia, just the story itself. If that makes sense.

The author did an incredible job with the writing and I found the character development interesting. For those interested in mystery thrillers, this would be a book for you. As well as those that are interested in the male-female power play that takes center stage in this book. An excellent read indeed.

No comments: