Thursday, September 13, 2012

Shift by Kim Curran

Title: Shift
Author: Kim Curran
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Pages: 293
Format: Paperback
Acquired: ARC
Age Group: Young Adult

When your average, 16-year old loser, Scott Tyler, meets the beautiful and mysterious Aubrey Jones, he learns he's not so average after all. He's a 'Shifter'. And that means he has the power to undo any decision he's ever made. At first, he thinks the power to shift is pretty cool. But as his world starts to unravel around him he realises that each time he uses his power, it has consequences; terrible unforeseen consequences. Shifting is going to get him killed. In a world where everything can change with a thought, Scott has to decide where he stands

First, I just want to give a huge thank you to Strange Chemistry for letting me read this book! It was fantastic! Beyond fantastic, it was amazing. Despite the fact that it was told from a male's point of view, an English boy to be exact, I found myself following the story well. Scott was very realistic and well developed.

I don't really read modern sci-fi stories, but this book stuck out in a lot of ways. First, the shifting. I loved how Curran was able to explain how shifting works and she mixed in the mythology, history, and modern times so well. I almost want to run to London just to see if Shifters are really there.

Shifters are people, young children and teenagers to be exact, who have the ability to undo any chance they have ever made. Scott has just discovered that he is apart of this group, but he's a little more special. As the story progresses the plot picks up right away and it's never a dull moment.

This book was an incredibly fast read. Anyone can pick it up and just go off into the world of shifting, and the enemies that they have to face. And not to mention a little bit of romance, which I just found cute.

And for me, who primarily reads novels from a female protagonist, this was a nice change. I always find it interesting how a female author can get into the head of a male character, or maybe it isn't as hard as I think...either way, Scott was very believable.

There were moments I almost cried, I laughed, and I questioned, and in the end everything was just wrapped up tightly. If you need a quick read or a good modern sci-fi novel, this is yet. Fast pace, interesting, and original this book is not easily forgotten.

No comments: