Monday, November 26, 2012

Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings

Title: Poltergeeks
Author: Sean Cummings
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: October 2nd, 2012
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Pages: 320
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Format: Electronic
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult

15-year-old Julie Richardson is about to learn that being the daughter of a witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. When she and her best friend, Marcus, witness an elderly lady jettisoned out the front door of her home, it's pretty obvious to Julie there's a supernatural connection.

In fact, there's a whisper of menace behind increasing levels of poltergeist activity all over town. After a large-scale paranormal assault on Julie's high school, her mother falls victim to the spell Endless Night. Now it's a race against time to find out who is responsible or Julie won't just lose her mother's soul, she'll lose her mother's life

This was a much, much needed break from all the intense adult books that I have read. Honestly, I was starting to feel a little dirty because I was reading so much of it, so when I got to this book it was like taking a huge step back and breathing.

This review is long overdue. Like many other works, I've been sitting on this, contemplating what to write. This was cute and funny and I really wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.

Poltergeist have entered Julie's life; a young witch, the girl never realized just how supernatural her life really was until the faithful day she sees her neighbor doing something...not so normal.

It was weird, or at least I find it weird, but I had an instant connection with Julie. Her voice, her personality; everything about her just came crystal clear. I could see her well and I could see a lot of the other characters. There wasn't a lot of trying in connecting, which I was happy about. When an author is able to draw the reader in like that I think that's a good sign.

There's not much I can say. I was surprised, which is also weird since I thought that I was at the point where I read so much that books just couldn't surprise me anymore. Well...never say never, right? Sean Cummings is brilliant and I am so glad I got the chance to read this book!

No comments: