Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Title: The Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: April 1st, 2006
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Pages: 377
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Borrowed
Interest: Series
Age Group: Middle School/Young Adult

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

I never even heard about this series until the movie, which I loved just as much. This book, though, surprised me! I was not expecting to like it so much. These days I'm not the biggest fan of middle school books, but Riordan wrote this book in such a way that it didn't make me feel like I was reading a middle school book. Even though Percy was twelve, he spoke in such a mature manner for a moment I had to remind myself he wasn't even a teen yet.

Obviously I liked this book better than the movie (which is something that I will have to watch again since I don't remember a thing that happened in that film!). The characters felt more personal and real, and I'm curious to see what happens from here.

I loved how the story moved forward so well and for a moment I had to ask myself why, at that age, I couldn't love novels like this. I was only thirteen in 2006, which makes me wonder what else I could have missed out on.

I can see why this book is such a big hit with kids. There is a lot that they can relate to, especially with what Percy goes through that isn't supernatural.

Even though I'm nineteen now, I can say that this book isn't just for the super young anymore, though if they had to pick a gateway novel, I would have no doubt this would be it. Riordan blew me away and I cannot wait to read the rest of the series, including his newest one.

No comments: