Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: September 18th, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.
Pages: 592
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult


Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.
 


I loved this book I hated the main character. Does that make sense? I don't know, but that's how I feel. If there was ever a moment when I really wanted for a character to disappear it is now. Evie is probably the most selfish, self-centered, careless, reckless, uncontrollable, loud character that I have ever read. But, I did love the story.

I continued to read it because the story was original and it was good. I loved the style that Bray used and how she formatted the story. It was interesting seeing the different story lines that went on and how they later ended up connecting.

The different characters added so many colors to the story. And by the time I was done I was already speaking like them. Glad I got rid of that though.

Bray must have obviously done a lot of research and it shows. The entire story came to life with all the historical facts and not to mention the mystery that was involved.

I can't wait to read more! The only disappointment that I have is Evie's lack of growth. There wasn't much character development. She was still the same bratty kid that started in the story. I was hoping for a little more but I guess that'll just have to wait. I wasn't expecting though the way things ended up for Evie, but I'm kind of glad.

It was a great story and I am so glad I read this!!

No comments: