Thursday, June 20, 2013

Highlander Most Wanted by Maya Banks

Title: Highlander Most Wanted
Author: Maya Banks
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: March 19th, 2013
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Pages: 352
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Never Seduce A Scot
Age Group: Adult

Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.

Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever

Like everything from Maya Banks, I loved this series! Another Highland novel that takes your breath away (and makes me fall in love with the Scottish even more!).

This is a continuation of the last book. As soon as the McHugh's have left their keep, leaving his people in the hands of the Montgomery and the Armstrongs. Distrust runs deep and loyalties are questioned at every turn. In the heart of the madness is Genevieve, a young woman who had been kidnapped a year prior to the novel. She is known as Ian's whore, and harassed constantly by the McHughs.

When Bowen arrives, desires begin between the two. But it is not that easy, especially because of the part that Genevieve plays in what had been his sister-in-law's kidnapping.

I found myself a liking Genevieve, and irritated with her at the same time. The things that occurred to her were obviously unfair, and she was a strong woman, but sometimes she showed a lot of weakness that brought her down a notch.

I was mainly irritated with the Armstrongs, and this might be because I didn't understand exactly the relationship that was going on with them and other clans, or just clan rules in general. I wish I could explain further, but that would be major spoiler alert. If only Maya explained the rules of the clans a little better, I could probably understand this novel in a whole new light.

Also, I didn't like how fast the relationship between Genevieve and Bowen developed. Prior to getting together they were just at odds with each other, and then he saves her, again after multiple times, but after that last one things changed drastically and they just sleep together. I raised my eyebrows, like really?! Sweetheart, he saved you from getting raped and you just willing give yourself to him? I found that just a little bit unrealistic.

Besides all the feels, because there was a lot of that, trust me! I absolutely found myself enjoying this novel. Maya Banks is amazing! She is a beautiful writer that brings her characters to life and has beautiful writing style.

I would recommend Maya Banks to just about anyone. And did I mention how she reenforces my love for Scottish men?


No comments: