Sunday, July 31, 2011

XVI by Julia Karr

Title: XVI
Author: Julia Karr
Release Date: January 6, 2011
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 272
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author
Rating: 4 Stars

Nina Oberon's life is pretty normal: she hangs out with her best friend, Sandy, and their crew, goes to school, plays with her little sister, Dee. But Nina is 15. And like all girls she'll receive a Governing Council-ordered tattoo on her 16th birthday. XVI. Those three letters will be branded on her wrist, announcing to all the world-even the most predatory of men-that she is ready for sex. Considered easy prey by some, portrayed by the Media as sluts who ask for attacks, becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear. That is, until right before her birthday, when Nina's mom is brutally attacked. With her dying breaths, she reveals to Nina a shocking truth about her past-one that destroys everything Nina thought she knew. Now, alone but for her sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer

I have to say, the 2011 line up of books is just amazing. XVI I specifically pick because I am a feminist through and through, and anything that deals with objecting women is something I would want to read.

I just have to say, that the world Nina lives in I would most likely just end up shooting myself before turning into a walking sex toy for any man, so you can imagine that the character Sandy just drove me up the wall. And the worst part is that girl's are portrayed in this way even today. Sure, if a girl get's gang raped she can easily go to court and most likely win if it's how it happened, but the way females dress today and the way they act, and even the TV shows just show the worst portrayal of women and those who are politicians or in some shape or form independent are seen as stupid, incompetent, or just not accepted my society.

This novel hit home in many places, especially since if I did live in this world then I don't think I could live having people think I "asked for it" because I'm a woman. It was just something that no female should go through, and Sandy just didn't understand. I felt bad in the end, but I was almost glad for the way things ended for her. It was wrong of me to think of that, but if the things that Nina and her friends described is the fate of women and Sandy was in no shape to fight against the system then I guess things ended for her the best way they could, because at least now no harm can come to her.

But if I did live in this world, I would have to find the courage to fight, even in this one.

Why did I give this book a four? I really wish they had described how things got to where they were in this book. I wish we got some more background information on how the government practically telling men to just rape women. I like how most of the character's developed, I liked how Nina grew, but I wish that at the very least Nina got to see her father.

I did like the pace of the book. Everything didn't just happen at once and things were spread out. I also liked the way the world was well developed in many cases. At lot of Nina's fear and doubts were well founded and I liked how she stayed consistent the entire novel.

I would definitely recommend this book. I think that Nina made some good friends and that the sequel TRUTH will hopefully give some insight to the history and that the entire rebel movement will go into full effect, because in this novel I felt like they were adding fuel to a car, and now this car needs to take off. I will be keeping an out for the next book and can't wait to read.

Realistic is really the only word to describe it because it's practically happening today. Sad, but still hopeful. I can see this book as a movie too. And it's also original, very original.

2 comments:

carole said...

Agreed. It's sad how fast this fictional story is becoming reality in some parts, and crazy. I'm definitely a fan of strong characters standing up for what they believe in. Have you read Unwind by Neal Shusterman? It's another great "that's where we're headed" story.

Marybeth said...

It can be sad but it can also be good because those out there that do want to see the truth, can see it.

I have read UNWIND and loved it!