Monday, August 1, 2011

Author Interview - Julia Karr


Why did you decide to write sci-fi?
Answer: I didn’t really make the decision. It was how the story presented itself to me!

What does a typical day for you look like?
Answer: *Yawns* I get up at 5 a.m. and journal for 30 minutes. Then I feed my cats & dog and make my 1st cup of gunpowder green tea. Tea in hand, I settle in to write until it’s time to get ready for my day job. (I’m a human resources administrator in a manufacturing plant.) When I get home in the evening I feed the animals again and take care of whatever outstanding business needs my attention (post office, appointments, etc.) I spend a bit of time (usually too much!) on the internet. When I’m working either on a draft or a deadline, I get down to writing before dinner (which will end up being quick & easy). Otherwise, I make dinner and then write more. When I finally get to bed, I read until past my bedtime! Then, start it all over again the next day.

How do you feel about all the positive and negative response you get from XVI?
Answer: I’m thrilled with the positive! I love reading a review where the reader connected with my characters and totally gets the story! As far as the negative responses, I know every book isn’t for every person. I used to get a little miffed at the snarky ones, but was pretty quick to realize that those reviews say a lot more about the reviewer than they do about my book. And, again – not every book is for everyone.

How drastic has your life changed or does everything still feel the same for you?
Answer: Other than the added pressure of editorial deadlines and the need to figure out a certain amount of self-promotion (at which I am not so great) – life is pretty much the same. Wake up, write, go to work, come home, write, go to bed. Yep – not a whole lot different!

Have you ever thought about a playlist for XVI and TRUTH? If not, what type of music would you consider?
Answer: For XVI, I have thought of some songs for a playlist – including the songs/artists mentioned in the book. I might just have to put one together. I think it would include a good mix of protest songs from the 1960’s (Bob Dylan, Buffalo Springfield, Joan Baez, etc.), some alternative music (definitely Common People, by Pulp), and maybe some techno music (which I am not really familiar with – but it belongs in the story.) For TRUTH, I’m working on one!

If your book was made into a movie, who would you want to play the main characters?
Answer: This changes a lot. But currently, Dakota Fanning as Nina (with dark hair, of course), and Brett DelBuono as Sal.

What has been most rewarding to you as an author?
Answer: Having my book published. Seriously, having a traditional publisher have enough faith in my book to buy it, edit it, and publish it feels amazing! The fan mail is nice, too!

Are you working on any other books at the moment? What can you tell us about them?
Answer: I am working on three books at the moment, a contemporary YA mystery, a contemporary YA paranormal, and a YA contemporary/historical novel.

Have you been influenced by other authors? If so, who were they and how?
Answer: I have probably been influenced by every author I’ve ever read – both good ones and bad ones! The good ones – like Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, P.D. James, J.K. Rowling – they make me want to be a better writer! The bad ones (whom I won’t name) show me how not to write. I find it really interesting that as an author, I now read a little differently, looking for clues and techniques, signs of what works and what doesn’t.
I will say that Terry Pratchett, in particular, showed me that I needn’t back off the metaphysical when I’m writing for teens. His stories are totally accessible and full of life’s mysteries ready to be contemplated and pondered.

No comments: