Friday, September 16, 2011

Blood by K. J. Wignall

Title: Blood
Author: K.J. Wignall
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Egmont U.S.A.
Pages: 288
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 4 Stars

I do not remember being bitten. I wish I did, for then I would know the creature who did this to me and I would have a purpose, to track him down and repay him for the poisoned gift he gave me. Back in the Thirteenth Century, Will was destined to be Earl of Mercia, although he never lived to inherit his title. In the centuries that follow, Will has led a lonely life, learning to deal with whatever the present day throws at him, always searching for answers but never finding any. Until this time, when he awakens after a 20-year-slumber, hungry for the blood that sustains his undeath, when it appears that he is finally getting a glimpse at why he exists. He does indeed have a destiny, and an enemy, but revealing that fate will be a matter of trust...

It took me a while to get through this book, I got it back in August and went through it way too slowly. It was hard to get into it because I was confused in a lot of places but I was glad that as the story went on that things started to clear up. At first I don't know what he meant by "sickness" and I'm just thinking through the first chapter what's going on and why.

As soon as I got what was going on I became intrigued. There was a lot of talk about prophesies and destiny, and I'll admit, I rolled my eyes whenever it was brought up, but I liked how the author made it so it didn't sound incredibly corny.

What I also liked was how he was able to tie the story together. A lot of authors bring in details in the beginning that nobody thinks about as the book finishes, but K.J. Wignall not only kept reminding us of the beginning and what happened, but tied it to the ending surprisingly well. Honestly, with the mention of burning witches a person would just want to keep thinking, "Who cares," but he keeps reminding us of this, and it becomes important near the end.

Eloise was fun. I liked her enthusiasm, and I wish that she had acted a little more shocked about the whole undead thing, and maybe had a different reaction to later things. I don't know why it bothers me how well she took a lot of it, but her fainting does give her some brownie points. I'm not so sure how I feel about Chris and Rachel. I almost want to trust them, but I also don't.

Another thing I liked about this author is how he didn't just stay with vampires. Sometimes you get the writers that center on just one theme, but in this story you have witches (maybe), ghost, sorcerers, and vampires. The ghost were my favorite part, I think.

And I won't lie the women spirits scared me a little, and there were a lot of moments were I was a little jumpy.

The ending has to be the best of the whole book. Like I said before, K.J. does a wonderful job of bringing things full circle in the sense that you start to get the picture of why certain details are so important, like the gang kid, and the witches, and even his own family history that gets repeated. And you feel sorry for Will because for so long he just thought it was him, and he hasn't had any real relationships because of his "sickness", as he refers it to.

Funny, original, suspenseful, and full of mystery and darkness of the paranormal world this could use some touch ups, but for the most part it's enjoyable.

No comments: