Friday, September 2, 2011

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Title: Drums of Autumn
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Release Date: November 10, 1997
Publisher: Dell
Pages: 1120
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, & Voyager
Age Group: Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

It began in Scotland, at an ancient stone circle.  There, a doorway, open to a select few, leads into the past--or the grave.  Claire Randall survived the extraordinary passage, not once buy twice.  Her first trip swept her into the arms of Jamie Fraser, an eighteenth-century Scot whose love for her became legend--a tale of tragic passion that ended with her return to the present to bear his child.  Her second journey, two decades later, brought them together again in frontier America.  But Claire had left someone behind in the twentieth century.  Their daughter Brianna...
Now, Brianna has made a disturbing discovery that sends her to the stone circle and a terrifying leap into the unknown.  In search of her mother and the father she has never met, she is risking her own future to try to change history...and to save their lives.  But as Brianna plunges into an uncharted wilderness, a heartbreaking encounter may strand her forever in the past...or root her in the place she should be, where her heart and soul belong...

What can I say about this book that I haven't said already? There is no doubt in my mind how two people belong together than Claire and Jamie. My heart flutters when I think about them, and then goes said thinking of the twenty years they lost where they could have been together.

I enjoyed this book because now Brianna is out looking for her parents and I just want to say that this girl was not made for the time period. I mean, how did she not figure out that Stephan Bonnet just wanted sex in exchanged? Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for her, but still, it was a little obvious what was wanted.

I have to say that these character's are growing funnier, if that's possible. I knew the moment that Jamie and Ian were beating Roger up (thinking he raped Brianna) was going to end up bad, and I just loved the scene where things come to light. It was awful, but it was still too funny. But the way things ended almost made me cry - almost.

Throughout the series I knew that Jamie was always a strong man, but the fact that he was able to build up his own community on Fraser's Ridge, make's me feel happy because this man has like nine lives or something. People try to kill him and he just jumps right back up. Though the whole thing with Lord John Grey and William almost made me bring water works for Claire because she was in a position that no wife should be, and the fact that she can forgive him shows that their love is strong.

Brianna and Roger have some catching up to do, but the way that Diana makes these matches you just know that they fit so well, like a missing puzzle.

If you make it as far as Voyager keep going here. There's not as much action as the past novels, but there is plenty to keep you on the edge of your seat. And this has tons of build up to the coming novels!

No comments: