Saturday, September 17, 2011

Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith

Title: Eternal
Author: Cynthia Leitich Smith
Release Date: February 10th, 2009
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pages: 307
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Library
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Tantalize
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 2 Stars

At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high-school theater wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight. Meanwhile, her reckless and adoring guardian angel, Zachary, demoted to human guise as the princess’s personal assistant, has his work cut out for him trying to save his girl’s soul and plan the Master’s fast-approaching Death Day gala. In alternating points of view, Miranda and Zachary navigate a cut-throat eternal aristocracy as they play out a dangerous and darkly hilarious love story for the ages.

Honestly, I don't know what to say. This book had me confused from page one all the way until the end. For starters, I personally didn't know this was a series, because I had not read the first book, but even if you haven't read the first book you really think that this is a stand alone or at least the first book, the way its set up.

Second, the author does not do a good job of really describing what is going on. When it's Miranda's point of view I kept trying to figure just where she was at, what was going on, and who was this man that came up to her. I felt like I was reading a really bad story by someone who really wanted to be an author.

Third, the random characters that just showed up in the book and some crazy crowed that loves Miranda.

I think I might need to read this again, but for the most part there's nothing much to say about this book. It was like stepping into Wonderland, and I was seriously lost in all things. The reason why I gave it two stars is because the story made little sense to me, but I did like the originality in using angels and vampires, and the ending had come out as a huge surprise, I also liked that. The ending did make some sense, and since this is a series there is more to come, but I might not get to it.

Overall? The story just needs to be clear on what exactly is going on and actually fill us, the readers, in on what is happening. Like I said, it could be better.

No comments: