Monday, October 3, 2011

There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

Title: There You'll Find Me
Author: Jenny B. Jones
Release Date: October 4th, 2011
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 320
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

In a small cottage house in rural Ireland, Finley discovers she can no longer outrun the past.
When Finley travels to Ireland as a foreign exchange student, she hopes to create a new identity and get some answers from the God who took her brother away and seems to have left her high and dry.
But from the moment she boards the plane and sits by Beckett Rush, teen star of the hottest vampire flicks, nothing goes according to Finley's plan.
When she gets too close to Beckett, a classmate goes on a mission to make sure Finley packs her bags, departs Ireland-and leaves Beckett alone.
Finley feels the pressure all around. As things start to fall apart, she begins to rely on a not-so-healthy method of taking control of her life.
Finley tries to balance it all-disasters on the set of Beckett's new movie, the demands of school, and her growing romance with one actor who is not what he seems. Yet Finley is also not who she portrays to Beckett and her friends.
For the first time in her life, Finley must get honest with herself to get right with God.

I have to say with college starting I have been feeling pretty down lately, and pressure builds and builds and builds. When I started reading this book I almost felt like a part of Finley's life reflected my own. I didn't lose my brother, but I have lost my way with God.

The entire novel I literally felt everything that Finley felt. There was so much sadness and grief in her heart, I was surprised how she could even get out of bed in the morning. You just can't help but feel bad for her because of everything that has happened to her.

I felt like Jenny did an amazing job in really getting into Finley's heart and seeping the grief out. You could tell she tried so hard to keep it together and I could tell how she was in such denial for so long and was depending on her music to get her through. I kept wanting to jump into the book and telling her that this wasn't the way, but I guess she had to find that out herself.

What I also liked was how every time Finley was with Beckett neither of them had to pretend they were okay, because when they were around each other it was like electricity was running, but that's expected. I felt bad for Beckett because people think they know celebrities, but sometimes things would surprise you. For a while the relationship between Beckett and Finley reminded me of Anna and the French Kiss between Anna and Sinclair and how they just could not get it together because there was just no communication. This felt like that and I just wanted to hit Beckett.

Beatrice I hate, but that's expected. She's just a strange child, no doubt. And of course every novel needs a snobby girl, and she makes the perfect one.

The way that Finley tried repeatedly to convince herself that she was okay when she was obviously borderline eating disorder made another personal connection. Really, this book had to be one of the best reads of this Fall I have come across.

The mystery surrounding Mrs. Sweeney just makes you want to know why she's so bitter and unhappy.

Basically, I just loved how real all the characters were. They all fell together perfectly and there was never a puzzle piece missing. The theme of the story comes through loud and clear, and I think that any questioning Catholic out there should pick this book up, because while it offers no answers, it shows that no one is alone in things like this.

Loved, loved, loved it!

1 comment:

roro said...

will read it this week