Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin

Title: Something Borrowed
Author: Emily Griffin
Release Date: June 1st, 2004
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancé.
Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.

I was a little hesitant at first about reading this because I wasn't sure what to expect. Was this going to be a story about a self-conscious girl who spends the novel running around after a guy who barely notices her? Is this going to be about two friends and how there is a rift in their friendship and patch it up? A million questions were running through my head, but when I actually read it, I can honestly say that I never looked back.

This is a fun, hysterical book that had me smiling throughout the story. The characters are so real, and even though these people are in their thirties they remind me so much of teenagers because of the drama that goes on. People think that when you're an adult everything is all business and no fun, but here it was just a blast.

I can honestly say that the character of Rachel surprised me a lot, I would never have thought she would be capable of having an affair with her best friends fiance, and I like this because the author doesn't make Rachel a one-dimension character. She obviously has many sides to her and many faces, and the way she grows in this book is amazing. And if I went through what she went through, I would have gotten on the first plane and on my way to England as well. But I like that she's a strong woman and keeps her head up a lot.

Dexter, I never liked that name, but I can tell you one thing he had me on the edge of my seat. I kept thinking, "What is this man doing? What is this man doing?" And his choice in the end had my jaw dropping, and imagine my surprise when he shows up again.

What I thought that Emily did well was that Darcy was a character you just want to hate, because she is that girl that's selfish, irresponsible, and could care less about others. The way she makes the assumption that Dexter would not go after Rachel because she was this and that is very low of her, especially since Rachel's supposed to be her best friend, but when you read the companion book it becomes different.

I liked the way the story evolved and relationships became more complicated, and it was at the point where the reader is thinking, what is wrong with these people. I was laughing, I was crying, I was frustrated, and I was having such a good time. You will finish this book in one sitting because so much will be going on you just can't put it down. You won't want to put it down. This is a book for everyone who believes in second chances and moving forward.

No comments: