Thursday, March 8, 2012

Bloggers Block

So, I have a question for all those wonderful book reviewers out there - and just general bloggers even - how is it that you deal with bloggers block?


Let's face it: We have all had that moment where we come to our blogging site and get ready to write something really awesome, whether an amazing book or movie review or talking about the latest gossip or posting the newest Photoshop image that someone made or something or another. But then, when the blank page appears, it's like the mind just went blank and there is nothing to post.

Writers go through this and I fully believe that bloggers can go through this as well; I should know, I'm currently suffering from said Bloggers Block and writers block -- a double whammy.

And I think I have found the source of my own block and essentially it comes down to that my brain is so cluttered with everything else going on in my life that at the end of the day I end up looking like this:
Granted, not as pretty, but you get the picture. 

So when a day comes that I do have time (which may or may not be a sign that the Apocalypse is coming, that is still up in the air) shockingly I don't want to read or write anything because that's exactly what I have been doing 5 to 6 days a week. And when I don't read that completely defeats the purpose of a book reviewing blog, because I would obviously have nothing to review. 

Now the question comes in on how to defeat bloggers/writers block. Because granted, we are all busy, we all have lives, and we all get extremely exhausted at the end of a really busy week that all we want to do is feel a warm shower and a warm bed. 

I have yet to completely master defeating bloggers/writers block -- currently suffering right now, but I think I can come up with a few tips on how to get back into the funk of writing:

1. Take a break from reading. And I don't want to see the "No shit" face from anyone. I get it, this apparently defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to say, but if you are like me, as I believe the majority of you are, you are in school. Whether high school or college, school sucks the life out of you. And with school, especially college, there is so much reading to do. This semester I decided to go the suicidal route and take an eight week 400-level English class, in which we would have to read six books and write a twelve-page paper, and pray each day that our very pregnant professor would not pop in class. The class ended on Wednesday (March 7th) and I am so tired of reading, I don't want to look at another book again. When you're essentially reading a book a week it gets exhausting, so when it comes time to reading a fun book, that can feel more like a chore. 

I honestly believe that if someone wants to get back into the right mind-set of reading books they love and for fun (and not have the tendency to pick up a pencil to make notes, like someone would for a school book) then not reading would help. As much as most of us love books and reading, so much that we dedicate an entire blog to that, I think it's safe to say that there comes a time when people just get sick of reading. Active readers use way too much brain power, and I should know this because when I'm not reading, my brain actually has time to settle down and it screams GO TO BED. 

So I think a break from reading now and again always helps uncluttered the brain.

2. Go out and enjoy the day. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of reading outdoors and there are people out there that are and that's really great, but I think when it comes to the majority of people putting a book down or stepping away from the computer is always a great way to release some tension. With books people can get so lost in the world of imagination and creativity that some lose sight of our own world and I think that if a beautiful day comes along, people should go outside and enjoy it. Especially if someone lives in Wisconsin, where summer/spring is only two months long, and the rest of the year is winter. If it's sixty degrees and not a cloud in sight, go outside and enjoy the day. Who knows when that will happen again? 

And for those indoor readers like me, try reading outside. While I get that's completely the opposite advice that I gave above, it might be something to look into. A change of setting might be what someone needs. 

3. Get rid of your stress! I can pretty much say that this would embody my first two points, but I think that this is the primary cause of bloggers/writers block. It's something that I deal with on a daily basis and sometimes I have to remind myself to calm down. I am such a busy freshman; I'm out and about from eight in the morning until ten at night. If it's not school, it's work, and if it's not that it's some other crazy commitment I've made. College is supposed to be fun and I'm pretty much ruining it by making myself busy, even though if I wasn't busy I would probably complain that I'm bored, but that's beside the point. 

Stress does not let the brain work (unless you are someone who can only work under stress than this does not apply to you so please proceed to the rest of this post). A person under stress is constantly worried and active and has no time to sit down and actually read. And when someone does sit down, they fall flat on their face exhausted. The brain has too much on its mind to focus on reading or escaping or something else. With so much going on there's no time to think of some witty blog post or comment on the excellence or suckishness of a novel, because they are just too tired. 

This has worked for me in the past and I think it could work for some people; if a weekend comes up, do nothing! Like I said before, we all very busy people and have busy lives, but it is okay to turn off the cell phone, to turn off the internet and TV; believe me, you will not die. The world won't end if you don't answer your phone or check your Twitter or email or Facebook or MySpace (is anyone even on there anymore?) or Pinterest or whatever social networking site you are a complete addict of. In some serious cases I would strongly recommend that a person find a trustworthy friend to take said addictive technological device and move to a different, secret room somewhere. I know it'll be hard for some people, but I have complete faith that you can let go of technology for a few hours. 

While these three points are just somethings I would suggests everyone is different and so I would love to hear about some of your methods to avoid bloggers/writers block and what you do to avoid this situation:

No comments: