Saturday, May 5, 2012

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

Title: Fifty Shades Freed
Author: E.L. James
Release Date: January 19th, 2012
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop
Pages: 466
Format: iBook
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Fifty Shades of Grey & Fifty Shades Darker
Age Group: Super Teens (a.k.a. adults)


When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian’s singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed.

Now, together, they have more – love, passion, intimacy, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy, and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian’s opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control, and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present.

Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, misfortune, malice and fate combine to make Ana’s worst nightmares come true. Alone and desperate, she must face down the poisoned legacy of Christian’s past.

Well, I did it. I don't know how I did it but here it is. I finished the series and I have to say that it ended exactly as I imagined it would be. Either this author was too predictable or literature just starts to develop a certain pattern after a while, James' novel did not take much of a different turn then I expected.

Short summary: Ana and Christian married (please make a note that they haven't even known each other for a year), they are at happy bliss, a bunch of shit goes down, and (SPOILER ALERT) she gets preggers, and more shit goes down, and finally, they live happily ever after. The end. Oh, sweet endings.

Not many of you know me personally, so if no one caught the sarcasm in my voice, just note that it was there.

Honestly, I don't know what it was about this book series that angered me. Every single book I gave a 1 star. I was hoping to see at least a little bit of improvement on her or her editors or her publishing houses' end, but apparently not.

To me, these two fell in love way too fast. Ana proves time and time again what a weak character she is. Even when she should have been standing her ground, she showed her weak side. And whenever Christian so much as talks to another woman, obviously something must be wrong with her because he's not giving his full and undivided attention to her. Really, I just wish this girl would get over herself.

And I love how James tried to cover up Ana's poor character by having the supportive characters mention how strong and brave she is. I rolled my eyes so much my backside would have been beaten raw.

But, I am happy to say that at least Christian does grow up. He's another one that needs to get over himself.

Really, this an entire series was just a big waste of my time. I can't believe I actually read it. I can't believe someone published it. In fact, now that this has been published I have come to the conclusion that just about anything get published these days and people will read them.

And to add to my shock, I can't believe this is being made into a movie. Really people, really? There are so many great works out there that need to get recognized but people put this series in the front because of the steamy sex and poor literary work and women crying that they are pregnant because of the author. Please, don't make me gag, because I will barf all over you.

Granted, it's not like me to write such harsh reviews. I do try to stay civilized because I tend to think of myself as a civilized person, but this book was infuriating. I kept wishing it would get better and better, but nothing. And yeah, no one forced me to read this, but I stupidly try to give novels the benefit of the doubt, but there was just no silver lining with this book.

If you really, really have nothing to do give this book a shot. If you are bored out of your mind, give this book a shot. If you have better things to do and better books to read, just forget this. Worst money I ever spent on books.

Fifty Shades Trilogy has happily made my Shitty Book List, where it will remain for all of time. I do not recommend this to anyone unless you are so bored out of your mind you might turn to homicidal tendencies just to entertain yourself. Aside from that, I say, don't bother!

No comments: