Friday, May 18, 2012

Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Title: Lover Awakened
Author: J.R. Ward
Info: Website | Facebook
Release Date: September 5th, 2006
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Pages: 434
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Dark Lover & Lover Eternal
Age Group: Adult
Rating: 5 Stars

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…

I am in love with this series.

Ward is nothing like most paranormal romance writers who tend to be pretty predictable after several books. Here, Ward has surprises for readers at every turn and make's her readers question and wonder what will happen. Ward is a genius.

This book was emotional at every turn as reader's got a look at the darkest brother of them all. Zsadist is a former blood slave with a haunted past that makes him withdrawn from the other brothers. But, when Bella needs to be rescued, Zsadist will go as far as it takes to get her back and avenge her.

For me, there were moments when I wish Bella would have just given up because she was hurting herself trying to reach out for him. And there were moments when I hated Zsadist because no matter what he always thought of himself as unworthy of love. So unworthy that he would even throw his twin into Bella's arms just to get away from her.

But that would only be my own pride talking. Honestly, half the things that Zsadist did I had no idea he had the will to do. It really presents just how much self-loathing he has for himself for something that was not within his own control.

Though, I have to say, holy character development! Within the span of one book this dark brother started to show cracks of light and by the end I was momentarily shocked by a lot of things. Zsadist really showed a lot of change and I loved Ward for really making character's Zsadist come out.

These books show how the darkest side of the brother's can be shed away in order to present a new light. But, sometimes it can go the other way around. I almost cried for Torhment and John. I know that Torh's story was just released, so I need to hurry up and catch up on these books because I need to find out what happens to him.

Overall, this series has stolen my heart and I hope to have it finished by the end of summer! Ward is honestly one of my new favorite author's out there. I am so glad I discovered this series!

No comments: