Sunday, June 10, 2012

Enemy in Blue by Derek Blass

Title: Enemy in Blue
Author: Derek Blass
Release Date: May 1st, 2011
Publisher: Rogue Books
Pages: 334
Format: Paperback
Acquired: From Author
Age Group: Adult
The streets aren't safe when your enemy wears a blue uniform and a gold badge.

What if the good guys weren't good?

What if a cop went rogue and killed an innocent man?

What if it was all caught on video and the cop would do anything to cover it up?

Chase this lawless cop through the streets and to a scintillating series of showdowns with Cruz Marquez, a young attorney trying to nail down his enemy in blue. 
Will justice be served?

First, I want to start off on why I picked this book to read in the first place. When Blass asked me, I immediately said yes because I am Hispanic. It may seem like a stupid reason, but really, it isn't. I don't read a lot of books that have Latino characters as the central figure, because let's be honest, the YA and most of the adult market is primarily dealing with white men and women. Just look at what's on the NYT Best-Seller List or any top rated book list; there probably won't be that many books where a white character isn't the central figure. I never really took much notice in this, until I started thinking about it while I had this book sitting on my TBR pile for some months now. And, I think that it is important for those who come from different ethnic backgrounds to read books that revolve around their own culture, because it can be an eye opener.

From the first chapter I knew that I would be hooked on this book. It's sad but true the things that happen here, and it almost makes me wish that things weren't like they are.

When a cop kills an illegal immigrant, a young attorney, Cruz, is on the case to hunt down a video tape that could put the cop away, but it won't be easy, especially when assassination attempts happen.

This book was so honest that I could very well see it happening in real life. The ignorance and hatred that the cop, Shaver, gave off just made me want to vomit. And the things that he did and how far he would go; there was really no end to him.

And another character that really surprised me had been the cameraman, Max. As much as I hate to admit it people like these two exist, and they make a joke out of the justice system...well, mostly Shavers. Max's sin is apparently not grasping the importance of what he had in his hands.

The way the book ended really hit the nail on the head of, "It's not what you know, but who you know" and really made the point that sometimes having friends in high places, no matter who you are, can beat the legal system each time. I was both shocked and upset, but somehow it all comes to full circle.

As for Cruz, I have to say that he really surprised me, in a lot of good ways.

Personally, a lot of what happened in this novel had me at the edge of my seat and wanting to read more. I wish I hadn't waited so long to read this book, but I'm glad that I got the chance to read this. This novel is one that I think a lot of people should read because it shows the other side of the law. There was a lot of ethnic tension, not just with Hispanics, and I think that Blass brought out each and everyone of his characters and gave them a life, because honestly, the way Blass drew out the antagonist drove the book a lot.

Blass is a one-of-a-kind author and this book is a true work of art.

No comments: