Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rake with a Frozen Heart by Marguertie Kaye

Title: Rake with a Frozen Heart
Author: Marguerite Kaye
Release Date: April 17th, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Romance
Pages: 288
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: From Publisher; Netgalley
Age Group: Adult

Waking up in a stranger's bed, Henrietta Markham encounters the most darkly sensual man she has ever met. The last thing she remembers is being attacked by a housebreaker—yet being rescued by the notorious Earl of Pentland feels much more dangerous!

Since the cataclysmic failure of his marriage, ice has flowed in Rafe St. Alban's veins. But meeting impetuous, all-too-distracting governess Henrietta heats his blood to the boiling point.

When she's accused of theft, Rafe finds himself offering to clear her name. Can Henrietta's innocence bring this hardened rake to his knees?

Honestly, I love historical romance novels. I think they are just the best romance in the world, and I don't know why, I just do. And I tend to be picky about which books I read and which authors I read. I had never heard of Kaye before, but I decided to give this book a shot and so I requested it. And I was heavily disappointed.

When Henrietta wakes up she finds herself in the bed of a rake, better known as Rafe. Unknowing how she got there, Henrietta finds instant attraction to the rake, but when she's accused of theft, the cold-hearted Rafe offers to clear her name.

This book took me way too long to get into. I usually push through books until the 100th page to decide if I'll continue or not, because by that time either books are getting really good or the action has started already, but not with this book. I felt like Henrietta was too little - there just wasn't enough personality with her - and that Rafe was too much - way too emotional for my taste.

The story didn't really pick up and even though I kept catching a glimpse of a plot line, I didn't feel like much was really going. It was just like, "Oh this is happening and this is happening, so here you go" type of thing. And I think that was what my real problem with this book was - there just wasn't enough emotion, life in the characters.

I did like the premise a little, but if you are really into romance novels, especially historical, I'd say check this out in the library or something. It's not worth the money, because, like I said, the character's felt too stale for me.

This really could have been a better story. I just wish a little more was going on, but I guess you get what you get.

No comments: