Thursday, September 20, 2012

Eden's Root by Rachel E. Fisher

Title: Eden's Root
Author: Rachel E. Fisher
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: December 17th, 2011
Publisher: Self-published
Pages: 322
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: From Author
Interest: Series
Age Group: Young Adult

The year is 2033 and the world hovers on the edge of explosion as unexplained crop deaths lead to severe global food shortages. In the United States, the Sickness is taking lives slowly, creeping its way into every family. Fi Kelly has already faced the Sickness in her own family, toughening her beyond her years. But a shocking confession from her dying father will push her toughness to its absolute limits. Saddled with an impossible secret and the mission of saving her little sister, Fi sets out to transform herself into the warrior that she must become to survive the coming collapse. Along the way, she will discover that evil can be accidental and that love can be intentional

When first asked to read this book, I said yes because I absolutely LOVE dystopian novels, or in this case it looks like post-apocalyptic. Anyways, this book sounded interesting.

At first, I felt like it was a slow going and I was almost dreading the rest of the novel because I was hoping that it wouldn't be as slow going as the beginning, luckily, things picked up.

This novel does not involve zombies or vampires, but the threat is even scarier because it is so close to the truth. The author taps on a subject that is too close to home that it could honestly make this future look so real it could almost happen. I liked that as the novel picked up so did the characterization. At first, I almost felt like Fi was too unrealistic and that she wasn't a real person. I don't know, there were just the moments that she seemed too artificial, but when the plot picked up she started to feel more three-dimensional.

The way the book moves isn't too quick or too slow. The reader's can tell right away that Fi was just an innocent that got caught in the cross-fires of something bigger than her. And the way she handles it I felt really made her stand out.

And of course the love interest was just cute.

What I like most about this book is that, like I said before, it sticks really close to what could actually happen. All someone needs to do these days and Google it up. And as much as people would like to say something like this would never happen, I think we all know that this very well could, and in some parts its already happening.

Fisher is a talented writer and I really enjoyed this book. It didn't take long to pick up and once it did, I could not put it down afterwards. I would recommend this book to all fans of sci-fi, and I can't wait to read the second book!

Dark, heart-wrenching, and beautiful, this is a great novel. 

No comments: