Saturday, January 5, 2013

Broken by A.E. Rought

Title: Broken
Author: A.E. Rought
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: January 8th, 2013
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Pages: 366
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Advance Reader's Copy
Age Group: Young Adult

A string of suspicious deaths near a small Michigan town ends with a fall that claims the life of Emma Gentry's boyfriend, Daniel. Emma is broken, a hollow shell mechanically moving through her days. She and Daniel had been made for each other, complete only when they were together. Now she restlessly wanders the town in the late Fall gloom, haunting the cemetery and its white-marbled tombs, feeling Daniel everywhere, his spectre in the moonlight and the fog.

When she encounters newcomer Alex Franks, only son of a renowned widowed surgeon, she's intrigued despite herself. He's an enigma, melting into shadows, preferring to keep to himself. But he is as drawn to her as she is to him. He is strangely... familiar. From the way he knows how to open her locker when it sticks, to the nickname she shared only with Daniel, even his hazel eyes with brown flecks are just like Daniel's.

The closer they become, though, the more something inside her screams there's something very wrong with Alex Franks. And when Emma stumbles across a grotesque and terrifying menagerie of mangled but living animals within the walls of the Franks' estate, creatures she surely knows must have died from their injuries, she knows.

When this book is described as a modern day Frankenstein they weren't kidding. I am so glad that Strange Chemistry sent me this book because I honestly enjoyed every minute. I stayed up all night finishing this book, biting my nails, just thinking of everything that could happen.

The character of Emma made me upset. Mostly because I felt like she was too young to feel the way she did about her dead boyfriend Daniel and then on top of that she just cried a lot and mourned. I understand the mourning portion, but she was a little too focused on her pain and I'm just glad that she realized this eventually.

Also, another problem that I had is how fast she went from loving Daniel to loving Alex. While there were four months in there, and she was still mourning to Daniel.

But aside from these two points, I did enjoy the book. Rought brought a wonderful story to life that somehow mixed creepy and romance together into one.

Bree was my favorite character. She was so patient and took everything into stride with whatever was going on with Emma. And Josh - can I just say that there could not have been a better antagonist.

Overall this story was really great. And I'm surprised that I'm even writing this review since reading it I felt like like I didn't know what to say. Honestly, I was at such a loss of my general feelings towards this novel, but writing it now I think I see why it was great.

The pace wasn't too slow, the characters developed nicely, and I almost wish there was a sequel to this story. For awhile I thought there was since everything cuts so close to the end, but Rought wrapped it up nicely!

No comments: