Monday, January 7, 2013

Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors

Title: Coffeehouse Angel
Author: Suzanne Selfors
Info: Website | Facebook
Release Date: July 21st, 2009
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Pages: 276
Format: Kindle
Acquired: Bought
Age Group: Young Adult

From the author of Saving Juliet comes a romantic comedy that is good to the last drop. When Katrina spots a homeless guy sleeping in the alley behind her grandmother’s coffee shop, she decides to leave him a cup of coffee, a bag of chocolate-covered coffee beans, and some pastries to tide him over. Little does she know that this random act of kindness is about to turn her life upside down.  Because this adorable vagrant, Malcolm, is really a guardian angel on a break between missions. And he won’t leave until he can reward Katrina’s selflessness by fulfilling her deepest desire. Now if only she could decide what that might be . .

I'm pretty sure I saw this book back in high school, but I overlooked it even though the word "Coffee" was on the cover. But after I saw it on Kindle Deals for only $1.99, I thought, "Why not?"

This book is quirky, funny, and filled with amazingly colorful supporting characters. And not to mention: COFFEE!

I was glad that the book took me less than three hours to read and that it was original in a lot of ways I wasn't expecting.

What I wasn't happy about? First, Katrina. I like that she has a selfless nature and tries to put others before herself, but sometimes she can just a little annoying. She doesn't actually see all options and has a bad habit of giving up and then complains that she doesn't have any talent. When I read that I just wanted to roll my eyes and remind her that no one is perfect at anything and it was the thing that she didn't want to do (practice) that always led to her downfall.

Second, Vincent. I wanted to punch him. I really, really, really wanted to punch him. There was just something about him that I didn't like or understood and it just irritated me greatly.

But, Selfors made up for the two lacking main characters with really great supporting characters. It seemed that everyone else should have been the main character instead of Katrina and Vincent.

Another thing I didn't like is that I didn't know where I was! Selfors kept talking about how the main character comes from a Scandinavian background and lives in a little village. Yet, the way Selfors sets it up is that the main character lives in Denmark (where there is a real life Nordby) but the other keeps referencing Washington State. It wasn't until I did more digging that I saw that Selfors had put a Scandinavian village in Washington State. I really wish she had mentioned that and that I didn't have to go looking for it.

I wouldn't say this novel is an overall disappointment. While the first half upset me greatly, I did find some satisfaction in the last part where Katrina finally picked herself up.

As for the romance, well, I'm just glad that it wasn't so obvious. It left a little air of mystery and a lot of surprises.

This was a quick and fun read.


No comments: