Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Pleasures of Winter by Evie Hunter

Title: The Pleasures of Winter
Author: Evie Hunter
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: November 1st, 2012
Publisher: Penguin 
Pages: 400
Format: Electronic Copy
Acquired: ARC; Netgalley
Age Group: Very Adult


When reporter Abbie Marshall needs to escape Honduras, a private jet carrying a Hollywood A-lister is her only way out. She has a ride home with Irish actor Jack Winter - notorious womanizer and all round bad boy. Abbie is shaken to the core by Winter's blazing beauty and provocative mind.

After the plane's nose-dive into the remote rainforest forces them to fight for survival, Abbie catches tantalizing glimpses of the complicated man behind the image. And the more she sees of him, the more he touches some primal part of her that she is determined to suppress. But after a devastating encounter with Winter's shadow side, Abbie's detachment is shattered.

On returning to normal life, Abbie cannot forget what happened, nor ignore the shocking rumours about the star's private life. Her struggle to make sense of her torment leads straight back to Winter, who is just as obsessed by her. But if they are to have a relationship, Abbie knows she must embrace his hidden desires ... and accept her own.

No longer caring about anything but their intoxicating love affair, Abbie is drawn deeper into the dark heart of Winter - and the secret that threatens to destroy everything ...
 

I was a little surprised at just how much I loved this book. I don't know why I was surprised, I just was. I guess I was expecting something a little worse than what actually appeared, so that's where the surprise came from.

This book, overall, wasn't that bad. I loved Abbie's independent streak, and the way Jack respected that. There was never a moment that I felt like she was losing herself in him, unlike most erotic literature out there. She was very strong within herself and also really good at her job.

The way the story progressed felt natural and I really liked the way things went. I was surprised by the end, because I wasn't expecting the way that Abbie just seemed to...grow, if that makes any sense.

And the steamy sex scenes were pretty damn hot. I liked the way that Hunter wrote them. They can burn up a room, that's for sure.

If you have yet to try erotic literature, I would suggests starting with this book. While it is not tame by any means it is a good view, especially on the submissive side, on what these erotic novels look like and how they highlight the BDSM world.

I would reread this book again. It was funny, it was sexy, it was steamy, and all around fun to read.

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

Great review! I got an ARC of this and really have to start it soon. I'm so glad to hear it's such a good read.
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Caroline McCall said...

Thanks so much for the great review!

Caroline

(one half of Evie Hunter)