Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Title: Lover Unbound
Author: J.R. Ward
Info: Website | Facebook
Release Date: September 25th, 2007
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Pages: 502
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Dark Lover, Lover Eternal, Lover Awakened, & Lover Revealed
Age Group: Adult

Ruthless and brilliant, Vishous, son of the Bloodletter, possesses a destructive curse and a frightening ability to see the future. As a pretrans growing up in his father's war camp he was tormented and abused. As a member of the Brotherhood, he has no interest in love or emotion, only the battle with the Lessening Society. But when a mortal injury puts him in the care of human surgeon, Dr. Jane Whitcomb compels him to reveal his inner pain and taste true pleasure for the first time-until a destiny he didn't choose takes him into a future that cannot include her...

V was always the mysterious one to me. I could never understand this man and I think that J.R. Ward did that on purpose until readers would get to this book. And I loved how she just kept giving little hints here and there about V's destiny and who he is -- and especially how he is in bed. -Wink-Wink-

What I have to say, though, is that Ward is not a predictable woman. She surprises readers at every turn. I would never, in a hundred years, imagine the things that happened with V or even where he comes from. That was a jaw dropper. But I won't say anything about that, but I have to say that Ward's secret plan to keep readers always seems to be to keep them on their toes and she does that incredibly well.

For V, life sucks, literally. He grew up with a horrible father, in a cruel environment, with just the worst conditions. Where he comes from plays a huge role in who he becomes and why he is the way he is. Everyone has a story and Ward played her cards right in order to get the best story out of V, dropping hints here and there, but ultimately leaving Vishous to explain who he is.

I loved Jane. She was perfect for V in every way and I just found her so funny and humorous. While this novel did do something different than the others with adding something of Jane first before the Brothers, it all still came together amazingly.

What I wasn't ready for are the things that happened between the beginning of the novel and the end, which once again plays with Ward's unpredictable nature.

And like her other books Ward sets the stage for the next book to come, which should be fun. I cannot wait to see what happens to Phury, and I am trying so hard not to read any reviews on that book, because I am seriously hoping for the best.

There is also John Mathew and his grew. I am seriously hoping for the best, but I already have an idea on who his own love interest can be, and while I am surprised, I have to say that it'll be a very awkward pairing, especially if readers remember the history between her and Butch. Though, I don't think that Ward would include that. For some reason I keep waiting for Butch and Beth's human life to catch up to them, but it was like after their books were finished so was everything in their past. I mean it's like there's no bringing it up, so everyone might just pretend none of it happened or something.

And there was a little thing I noticed that happened with Jane's employer, Manny. I have to say if my suspicion is correct that will be really awkward. I don't know about any of you but it's like the Brotherhood picked Caldwell, NY because that's where all their brothers are at or something.

I don't know, it just seems they keep finding relatives and mates there.

The plot is getting a little thicker, but it seems the lessers are not much of a role in this book, so I'm just waiting for something big to happen. I thought something book would happen several books back, but Ward had to intervene. Ah well, that's not really a big deal or anything, just saying that it seems mindless to keep fighting these people without some kind of big follow up or something to look forward to.

Either way, I love Ward's books and I will keep devouring them one by one, including her other series, which I hear crosses paths with this series.

And on the off note, I am really frustrated with Tohr. Where the hell is this man and what's taking him so long to make a reappearance? Honestly, I am mostly impatient to get to that book in order to see what happens with him, and no, I won't skip a book just to get to it.

Okay, wrapping up, I just have to say how much I am falling in love with this book series. Ward continues her mastery in being an unpredictable, action filled, jaw-dropping, erotic, heart-stopping, page turning author that fills her books with goodness that just never stops.

No comments: