Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron Knight
Author: Julie Kagawa
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: October 26th, 2011
Publisher: HarlequeenTeen
Pages: 361
Format: Paperback
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, & The Iron Queen
Age Group: Young Adult

To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought. Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive. With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side. To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale. And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice

Holy Emotional Rollercoaster! I didn't think I could love the Iron Fey series more than I did while reading the story from Meghan's point of view, but looking through the eyes of Ash really put things into perspective.

When I first saw this, I knew that like her other works, this would be incredible. Not to mention the way The Iron Queen had left me, I knew that Kagawa would have to give in to the romantic nature of a tale sooner or later. But she blew me away with Ash.

Exiled son of Queen Mab, Ash is now searching for a way to be with his love, Meghan, in the iron realm, a place he cannot step into while still a Fae. With Puke and Grim by his side, Ash is about to go through unknown territory and make new friends and uncover new revelations that will make him question if being human really is the life for him.

I have to say, I love that reader's finally get a real insider's view of what Nevernever is like from someone who has seen it all. And the story continues to surprise me, and at times even creeps me out, but this was a book that will get devoured in one sitting.

The adventure, the romance, and the determination that Ash presents in order to complete his vow drive this story as the young prince must face trials that will determine if he can actually stand to be human and to accept everything that comes with it.

A lot of things surprised me. This is what I love about Kagawa, she always leaves the reader's on the edge. Giving little hints here and there, before BAM! she surprises you and leaves the reader's feeling like she just said, "Haha, didn't see that coming, huh?"

Honestly, Ash was just a wonder and I am so glad that she decided to write this book. The way his mind works, both in its darkest time and in the weakest moments to the happiest of days really surprised me. Whenever Ash does something he does it completely and full heartily. At some moments I didn't even recognize this cold prince who froze his heart as to not feel.

This, I feel, is the proper way that The Iron Fey should have ended, and I'm glad that Kagawa had it that way. This book, like its predecessors, does not disappoint. I cannot wait for the spin-off, but for the moment, I'm just going to enjoy the way this book ended and anticipate all the surprises that await from the next book just a little while more.

The Iron Knight promises to be everything that it set out to be and all I can say is that I truly hope they have forever.

1 comment:

Jeff Rivera said...

Julie Kagawa is really one of the best! I love the way she wrote this story. The characters are amazing. Book lovers will going to enjoy reading this amazing story.