Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer

Title: Bloodrose
Author: Andrea Cremer
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: January 3rd, 2012
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 406
Format: Hardcover
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Others in the Series: Nightshade & Wolfsbane
Age Group: Young Adult

Calla has always welcomed war.

But now that the final battle is upon her, there's more at stake than fighting. There's saving Ren, even if it incurs Shay's wrath. There's keeping Ansel safe, even if he's been branded a traitor. There's proving herself as the pack's alpha, facing unnamable horrors, and ridding the world of the Keepers' magic once and for all. And then there's deciding what to do when the war ends. If Calla makes it out alive, that is.

I have come to the end...of Calla's story anyways. It seems like not to long ago I just started the first book and was swept away into this world of Guardians and Searchers going up against the powerful Keepers. Maybe because it was a few days ago, but anyways, I feel like I have a book hangover now. 


I can't say that I was too disappointed. I'm glad that Cremer kept up the fast paced and I'm glad that she showed Calla's own little love triangle...though not really a triangle because it was obvious who Calla would end up with anyways. But...I won't lie, I felt like the fighting scene was just...eh. 


Calla is the narrator, I get that, so obviously the only way we would know what would happen is through her eyes. I feel like this book, though, should have been told in third person, because all I got through Calla's narration is that most of the wolves were standing around watching others fight. Yeah, they got their hands dirty, but not as much as I would expect from someone who prides herself in being a warrior. 


Not to mention Shay did his own standing around as well, even though he was the reason this whole thing was coming to blows. I don't know, I just didn't like that at all. 


The story itself, before the final scene, was amazing. I loved how Cremer gave a broader view of the world and showed us more Guardians and what other Keepers around the world did. I also liked that she didn't make it easy on the character's when trying to receive the Elemental Cross. 

And to say that I was stunned by how things turned out would be an understatement. It's clear and maybe understandable, but it still left me with my mouth open. And made me like Sabine a little more. 

I haven't read the first book in the prequel but I could very well see a spin-off sequel series with the other Searchers. Who knows, maybe this world isn't done with yet. 

Fantastic read all around, I truly did enjoy this book. 

 

No comments: