Thursday, January 24, 2013

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Title: Insatiable
Author: Meg Cabot
Info: Website | Twitter | Facebook
Release Date: June 8th, 2010
Publisher: William Morrow
Pages: 451
Format: NookBook
Acquired: Bought
Interest: Series
Age Group: Adult

Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them.

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does).

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . .

If she even has one

It has been a long time since I read Meg Cabot and I was honestly excited to read this book. Only Meg Cabot could take the entire vampire obsession that was at its height and make it into something funny.

I loved Meena, she was as funny as the other Cabot protagonist that I've read. She is witty and full of good humor. And I loved Lucien. The heat between the two of them makes most love stories just envy with jealousy. I was rooting for them from day one.

And the supporting cast was great. I found most of them believable and incredibly stupid. I mean, so many of them made just the worst mistakes that could have been completely avoided so I couldn't stop myself from thinking just how much I wanted to punch them. But some were hilarious, like Meena's BFF.

I found it very original Meena's gift. It wasn't very predictable and it was really cool. Meena was interesting and the various voices that Cabot presented came out clear.

I am sad to say that I probably won't read the second book, Overbite, or at least I'll check it out in the library and skim it. I have heard pretty bad things about the second book, like it's rush, too short - especially for the nature of this type of book - and the romance is not really there. And not to mention through the reviews I read I have a pretty good idea who Meena ends up with and I am on the other guys team, so yeah.

I can't say that I won't read it, but I won't spend money on it that's for sure. I like this book and the characters as they are now and I don't want that ruined by whatever happens in the second book. Honestly, I wish Cabot had turned this into a trilogy or at least just left this book as a stand-alone. Oh well.

This book was great. It took me awhile to get through and some parts of the storyline I didn't understand, but overall, it was great.


No comments: